Saturday, December 4, 2010

Can Ridgeline Tow Travel Trailer

The undrowned child, by Michelle Lovric

Here is a common understanding on the initiative of Miss Spooky Muffin who invited us to discover a book not yet published in French . As the book was available at the library, I threw myself into the adventure, to discover an author that I know absolutely and without any prejudice to the contents of the plot. Here is my opinion on this original work ...


Abstract:

Venice, 1899. Strange phenomena threaten the city of sharks roam the canals, water has become hot and salty, floods have become powerful and unpredictable. Teodora, a small Milanese eleven years, has always dreamed of exploring Venice. When his parents finally there emmènent, She spends her days to walk around the streets and visit the city in every corner. She also spends much time in a very strange little bookstore that sells individual pieces of mysterious books about ghosts or mermaids. When a book falls on his head, she sank into unconsciousness for a few minutes. This is the first step in a journey that will help them discover what lies beneath the appearance of the city, the strange beings who protect and above all, the great danger that threatens it.


My opinion:

This novel-like fairy tale has a lot going for it. For starters, a nice blanket faded puts you directly into the atmosphere of the novel. Then the little Teodora is adorable, sensitive and a little girl dream that can be attached. The scenery is beautiful: what better than Venice at the dawn of the twentieth century? And we can say that the story we walk from one corner to another, and in the habits and minds of its inhabitants and in the history of the city. I also enjoyed some of the characters whose originality beguiled me: ghosts, cats, and especially the sirens of course, their press, their cuisine and their special vocabulary. The plot has no timeouts, the adventure is changing rapidly and we do not get bored. In short, a lot of news around legends revisited, originality, action and a touch of poetry.

However, I do not know why the magic did not effect me. I read this book in one week but I returned without particular pleasure. A few days after the end my reading, I still wonder about the reasons for this indifference.

Perhaps it is the abundance of the supernatural, I had a little feeling of drowning in the legendary characters and magic in strange and supernatural phenomena. The consistency of I also missed the magical world: from start to finish, new characters, new events are added without at some point we can say we know the functioning of the created universe and the rest Part shall follow its rules. At several moments, while Theodora is in a particularly dramatic situation, it is off the hook by a phenomenon or a character hitherto unknown. To me it is as if the author cheated constantly adding new rules to the game it invented. I would have preferred a set of specific laws as in Harry Potter, where consistency is rigorously maintained from one end to another and where the twists may be predictable but are hidden only by the talent of the author to divert our attention.

this in mind, I was also disturbed by some flaws in the logic of history: at times the author is very clear on some details, but others it seems to leave out important elements. At times I asked myself the question: why does she Teo this, why this character does he do that? "All this feels like a dream with the actual pace but where there are inevitably some problems of logic. Regarding the heart of the plot, I still have a lot of questions, the most disturbing concerns the substance of the threat to Venice. I am still struggling to represent its exact nature, and because it is the engine of any action, it's pretty unpleasant. But perhaps Have I not been careful enough ...

Sometimes I'm a bit lost in the descriptions. Even with the ballads of Teo on the map provided at the beginning of the book, I had a little trouble to myself all the places described. However, it is often essential to understanding the events.

short, I was not convinced, without really knowing why. Yet this book is well written, set in a beautiful setting, it is original and full of action. Do not you trust my opinion and you could read those of my co-readers, because I'm sure some of them have loved it.


Sheet Bibliomania Book:

The opinions of my co-readers:
- Miss Spooky Muffin
- Erato
- Sita
- Flo_boss
- Sabaha
- Eli
- Avalon

0 comments:

Post a Comment